Closing date: Dec 18, 2018
Department: Aurora College
Job Code: 16324
Salary: $67,607 – $80,691
Job Description: View full job description
About the Job
Aurora College is focused on student success and is committed to supporting the development of our Northern society through excellence in education, training and research that is culturally sensitive and responsive to the people we serve.
The Library Technician is located at the Yellowknife/North Slave Campus of Aurora College, and reports to the Manager, Library and Information Services. The position contributes to the campus by providing technical library support, and assistance in the delivery of library services to all faculty and students. The provision of these services has a profound impact on student academic success, as well as on the ability of faculty to develop and deliver instruction and conduct independent research. The library also serves external organizations and members of the public.
The Library Technician is 1 of 2 fulltime positions within the unit which also includes 4 part-time student positions for evenings and weekends.. The library averages well over 20,000 visits by students, faculty and others annually, and circulates more than 2,000 items per year. The Library Technician is responsible for cataloguing approximately 1,000 items per year.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Sound knowledge of cataloguing principles and procedures
- Working knowledge current cataloguing rules and standards, including LC classification schedules, LCSH, AACR2 rev, and MARC formats
- Understands the concepts of subject and name authorities
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications
- Competency in technical applications as they apply to library services
- Ability to solve problems, prioritize tasks, and organize personal work routines
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to perform detailed work accurately
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Excellent interpersonal and public relations skills
- Understand of, and sensitivity to, working with culturally diverse populations
TYPICALLY, THE ABOVE QUALIFICATIONS WOULD BE ATTAINED BY:
Completion of a Library Technician diploma or certificate.
For more information or to apply: https://www.gov.nt.ca/careers/en/job/16324